Wednesday, March 19, 2014

HIT Work Outs



HIIT Workouts


HIIT (high intensity interval training) is basically alternating big bursts of activity with lower intensity activity for a specific period of time. I have to admit that I really do not like doing them. I know its a great cardio work out, but I just do not like doing it. I am convinced part of the problem is that I can not just veg out. I like running on a treadmill because I can put on my music and veg out. However, I will not burn fat or help in muscle growth.  The reason why is that my muscles have become efficient at using energy when I run . So it takes my body less energy (calories) to preform that same exercise the more times I do the same exercise. This is commonly referred to as muscle adaptation. I need to keep my body on it's toes. My goal has ALWAYS been to build muscle, so I have started to limit the amount of cardio sessions I do. I prefer a more athletic, lean physique.

Benefits of HIIT:

1. Efficient! Awesome & effective cardio in a short amount of time. Perfect for people on the go with a busy schedule. I never do more than 30 minutes of ANY cardio and most days 15-20 minutes fits in perfectly to my schedule post weight training.

2.Fat burner without losing muscle

3.Little to no equipment needed (I will typically add weights/dumbbells to my exercises though) and you can do these exercises ANYWHERE.

4.Increased metabolism & energy

5. VARIETY VARIETY VARIETY! No more getting bored running on a treadmill or sitting on a bike. You can incorporate a new routine every single session!

My Own Cardio:

For the most part, I don’t do anything super crazy with my cardio. Again, I limit my cardio sessions to 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes max. I switch from HIIT sprints on the hills near my house to HIIT on cardio equipment (stair climber, treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc). I do 30 seconds to 1 minute “on” at a VERY fast/hard pace and 1 minute off/recovery then repeat. My goal is to keep my heart rate up as much as I can for those short bursts.



Other HIIT exercises that require ZERO equipment & can easily be done at home:

When doing using these exercises, I typically pick 4-5 moves and do 50 seconds to 1 minute of “work” with 15 seconds rest and repeat for 3-4 rounds. I also add weight/dumbbells in to EVERY move that I can.
  • mountain climbers
  • switch lunges
  • jump squats
  • tuck jumps
  • pulse lunges
  • kettleball swings
  • scissor kicks
  • sumo squats
  • burpees (these are great but a killer)
  • push ups
  • jump rope
  • star jumps
  • V Sit
  • speed skaters
  • jumping jacks
  • walking lunges
  • high knees
  • in & out abs
  • Russian twists
  • box jumps
  • crunches

If I’m doing a quick 15-20 minute HIIT with these moves for the day, I try and pick exercises that go from super high intensity to medium intensity to lower intensity and so on. I also try to make sure that I’m not over working a certain muscle group with back to back exercises that work the same area.


I Don’t be afraid to try something new. Don’t be afraid to change it up every now and then either!

No comments:

Post a Comment