Friday, September 12, 2014

Children and Running



I recently took my oldest for his six year old physical.  I was not to surprised to find out that he was slightly over weight.  I am nervous that he will following in my foot steps (no pun intended) and be an overweight child.  So I started to do research on how start him on running.  My hope is maybe he will enjoy it like I have.  What I found out is that there really is no straight-forward answer as to when a child should starting running. It really depends upon the child’s fitness, ability and maturity levels. The consensus I found from my research is that kindergarten is a good time to start a running program or enter the child in a local kids' race (usually short distances of 100 – 400 meters). The most important part is that it should be fun for the child.  They should get some exercise, have fun, and most important learn to love running.

Here is what I found from runner's world:



Ages 4, 5 and 6

Distance: Any racing distance from 50m to 1k is reasonable. The workout plan for these distances isn’t mileage-based, but rather time. They recommend running twice a week for 3 minutes non-stop and working up to 8- 10 minutes.  Younger runners need lots of breaks, and  encourage them to take rests when needed so not to burn out or grow to hate running. This Plan assumes they are starting from zero.

Ages 7, 8 and 9
Distance: Any racing distance from 50m to 5k is reasonable. It is in this age group, where we start to really see separation between the competitive runners from the casual runners. Most notably, the competitive runners are going to naturally pick up longer-distance races and post faster times than their peers and, some times even older children

Ages 10, 11, 12 and 13
Distances: Any racing distance from 50m to 10k is reasonable. 10k programs, much like 5k programs, are goal- and experience-specific. The miles-per-week for a 10k training program will vary, but generally speaking, one should expect to run at least three to four days a week, with total weekly mileage being in the 10 to 20 range. It’s important to follow a program tailored to their goals and starting point.

Ages 14+
Distances: Any racing distances up to a half marathon are doable with proper training. Ages 16 and older can manage a full marathon, although most races won’t let you compete until you are 18. When considering a half or full marathon, there are many more factors to consider:
Do they have three to six months to dedicate to training?
Do they have five to six days a week available for training?
What are their time/ race goals? I think the most important question is are they mentally ready to run the distance, and are they physically conditioned for the training and race? I strongly recommend that anyone considering a half marathon or further distance checks with their doctor before starting the training.


I can not emphasize enough thought that no matter what age group they are in, the most important goal is for them to have fun and get exercise.  My goal for my son is for him to develop a love for exercising.  Also I want him to realize that if he put his mind to something he can achieve anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment