When I talk about increasing your stamina, I am talking about on the pavement not in the sheets ( for all of you that have dirty minds). Since my injury last summer, incidentally I still do not know what I hurt though I do have some theories, I still have not stamina. I can't go for more than two miles with out being out of breath. I have put aside entering any races for fear of having to be carried off the race route on a stretch. I have to say this has really affected me, I live for the runners high, so I need to really work on building up my stamina. I did some research on line and from that I compiled a list of ways to increase my stamina
1. Increase my mileage by 10 percent per week
For example if I run 10 miles per week (which i do right now) than I would add between 12 to 14 miles than next week. Then the week after that I would take it back and run only 10 miles. The following week I would kick it up to 16 to 18. And so on
2. Take a long run on the weekends
If I run 2 miles a day than on the weekends I would run 4
3. Run slower and longer
I would run at 60 percent of my capacity for longer distances. The long run is meant to help build stamina, and not increase speed.
4. Plyometrics
Plyometric exercises can help to improve running mechanics by lessening the amount of time that your feet are on the ground.
5. Increase the pace at the end of my run
For the last quarter of my workout, I should run as quickly as I can before cooling down. This would help me to counteract late-race fatigue.
6. Run on changing terrain
If I am running on the treadmill, I should change the incline frequently. If I choose to run outside I should run hills.
No comments:
Post a Comment