Here is what I found out:
When people saw Richard running in these sandals, they inquired where they too could buy them. So Richard decided to begin producing them for the general public. Today, these sandals are sold all over the world. And Richard actually makes each set of sandals himself in South Orange, New Jersey, which happens to be very close to wear I live. They come in 3 models: Lite (4mm), Original (6mm), and Trail (8mm). No matter what surface you run on, GladSoles has a sandal for you. See their full line of sandals here.
I've been wearing GladSoles Trail Sandals for well over a month now. The trail version of their sandals comes with an 8mm tread that has ridges for gripping rocks, roots, and loose dirt. To be completely honest, I have only been using them for walking. I am still trying to decide if I want to take the next step (no pun intended :) and start running in them. So the review that I will be giving is not from a runners point of view.
Comfort and Fit
GladSoles were designed with comfort in mind. Each pair of GladSoles Sandals are custom made and are specific to your feet. They are made especially for you! How great is that? In today's world, where it seems everything is massed produced, it's nice to have something that actually is custom hand made for you.
When you order the sandals, you need to send in a tracings of your feet. The process is fairly straightforward. Since I was actually able to go to South Orange where the sandals are manufacture/produced, I was able to have Richard trace my feet. Below is a you tube video that shows how to do the tracings.
Each sandal is cut perfectly to match the length of your toes and heel, so they feel very secure on your feet. I have yet to trip, slip, or fall wearing my GladSoles.
Another concern, I (like many others) have had with sandals, is the strap that goes between the toes. On other sandals I've tried, the material that they use for the strap between the toes, usually cause some irritation to my foot. But GladSoles uses military strength paracord laces, which are very soft, but extremely durable. I could barely tell that they were between my big and second toe.
Locks, Laces, and Tying
Not only are the soles for your feet custom made, but so are the straps, locks and laces. You get to choose the color of locks and laces for your sandals. As far as lacing them up, I was lucky enough to have Richard himself show me how to lace them. However, if you are not lucky enough to visit Richard you can always watch the tutorial on their website, or the YouTube channel to help you along the way.
There are many different ways that you can tie your GladSoles Sandals, and Richard actually showed me, from his instagram account, how some people like to lace them up. I recommend you start with the GladSoles' method, and as you become more comfortable with the sandals then you can be as creative as you want to be.
As a podiatrist, hands down, the best aspect of these sandals is that you get incredible feedback from the ground. With GladSoles, since the tread fits right up against the bottom of your feet you can feel changes in the terrain that you are walking or running on. They are extremely flexible, you almost feel that there is nothing between you and the ground. You feel like you are barefoot. This is a great way to increase the strength of those intrinsic muscles in your foot, as they have to work harder to stabilize your foot.
Models & Prices
The price for these sandals run from $40-$60, which i feel is a bargain for a full custom-made product. As I mentioned, they come in three different models: GladSole Trail 8mm in height, GladSole Lite 4mm, and GladSole Original (the ones I have) which are 6mm.
It all started when Richard Gladstone (Gladsoles were created) could not find the perfect minimalist running sandal. He had tried numerous brands and tied them different ways but they never felt quite right. With his resources exhausted, he decided to create his own minimalist sandals. He contacted vibriam (the maker of five fingers running shoes), and they agreed to give him material for the sandals sole. With some trial and error, and some modification to the lacing, GladSoles were born.
When people saw Richard running in these sandals, they inquired where they too could buy them. So Richard decided to begin producing them for the general public. Today, these sandals are sold all over the world. And Richard actually makes each set of sandals himself in South Orange, New Jersey, which happens to be very close to wear I live. They come in 3 models: Lite (4mm), Original (6mm), and Trail (8mm). No matter what surface you run on, GladSoles has a sandal for you. See their full line of sandals here.
I've been wearing GladSoles Trail Sandals for well over a month now. The trail version of their sandals comes with an 8mm tread that has ridges for gripping rocks, roots, and loose dirt. To be completely honest, I have only been using them for walking. I am still trying to decide if I want to take the next step (no pun intended :) and start running in them. So the review that I will be giving is not from a runners point of view.
Comfort and Fit
GladSoles were designed with comfort in mind. Each pair of GladSoles Sandals are custom made and are specific to your feet. They are made especially for you! How great is that? In today's world, where it seems everything is massed produced, it's nice to have something that actually is custom hand made for you.
When you order the sandals, you need to send in a tracings of your feet. The process is fairly straightforward. Since I was actually able to go to South Orange where the sandals are manufacture/produced, I was able to have Richard trace my feet. Below is a you tube video that shows how to do the tracings.
Each sandal is cut perfectly to match the length of your toes and heel, so they feel very secure on your feet. I have yet to trip, slip, or fall wearing my GladSoles.
Another concern, I (like many others) have had with sandals, is the strap that goes between the toes. On other sandals I've tried, the material that they use for the strap between the toes, usually cause some irritation to my foot. But GladSoles uses military strength paracord laces, which are very soft, but extremely durable. I could barely tell that they were between my big and second toe.
Locks, Laces, and Tying
Not only are the soles for your feet custom made, but so are the straps, locks and laces. You get to choose the color of locks and laces for your sandals. As far as lacing them up, I was lucky enough to have Richard himself show me how to lace them. However, if you are not lucky enough to visit Richard you can always watch the tutorial on their website, or the YouTube channel to help you along the way.
There are many different ways that you can tie your GladSoles Sandals, and Richard actually showed me, from his instagram account, how some people like to lace them up. I recommend you start with the GladSoles' method, and as you become more comfortable with the sandals then you can be as creative as you want to be.
As a podiatrist, hands down, the best aspect of these sandals is that you get incredible feedback from the ground. With GladSoles, since the tread fits right up against the bottom of your feet you can feel changes in the terrain that you are walking or running on. They are extremely flexible, you almost feel that there is nothing between you and the ground. You feel like you are barefoot. This is a great way to increase the strength of those intrinsic muscles in your foot, as they have to work harder to stabilize your foot.
Models & Prices
The price for these sandals run from $40-$60, which i feel is a bargain for a full custom-made product. As I mentioned, they come in three different models: GladSole Trail 8mm in height, GladSole Lite 4mm, and GladSole Original (the ones I have) which are 6mm.
Final Thoughts
Although I can not attest to whether or not these sandals are good for running (which I intend to find out in the near future!) I can tell you that they are great for walking around in. I like how I feel as if I am walking barefoot, which helps strengthen those small, but important, muscles in the foot.
No comments:
Post a Comment