Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Moon Walk- NYC 2013


Its the morning of the Moon Walk, and I am feverishly decorating my bra (click on this for my post on the moon walk).  Of course my wonderful husband, I really do love him, has to take over the decorating details.  Half way through the decorating process this is what my bra looks like.


My youngest son decided to get in on the action.   I was rather amused by his passion for this project.  I guess he doesn't mind other people staring at his wife's chest.









Here is the finish product.











There were seven coverages women that were brave enough to take on the Moon Walk 2013 NYC with me.  I have to thank them all for putting up with my competitive side, towards the end, I think they all were ready to kill me. They were all so tired and I kept on pushing them to go farther and faster, poor girls.  Anyway, we decided to go as different types of fruit, and we even added lights to our masterpieces at the end.  I have to give props to whomever thought of this event, it was a big hit with everyone.  For legality and anonymity reasons, I will only show the decorated bras and not their faces.  And here they are:


Here is the entrance gate for  home base (Randal's Island) for the walk
Here is the tent where the pre-walk celebration took place
Everyone lining up to begin the walk
At approximately 10:30pm over 1500 men and women, in decorated bras, took to the streets of Manhattan to spread the word for the cause.  There was either a 13.1 or a 26.2 miles loop around the island of Manhattan.

Here we all are as the walk commences
Unfortunately, we did not have the most ideal conditions, in more ways than one.  First of all, the northeast was under the grips of a seven day heat wave, so we were all rather hot and sticky.  Second of all the scenic walk took us through rather questionable areas of the city.  We were walking through Harlem at 3:30am in only our bras and shorts, probably not the wisest place to be at that time.  However, the walk volunteers and police officers who lined the route, made us feel safe and were great cheerleaders.

By mile 11 most of the team had ran out of steam and decide to call it a night.  I can not blame them it was late, roughly 2:30am and still hot and muggy.

But not me! I had to finish this walk and get my metal.  So I dragged my sister along, poor girl.  She had to go to the bathroom so bad.  And I made her power walk the rest of the way.  At roughly 3:00am, four and a half hours later, we crossed the finish line. 

My sister and I at the finish line
We were so tired and beat by this time,  all we wanted to do was get back to my sister's apartment and go to sleep. Unfortunately, since the walk started and ended on Randall's Island, we had to take a shuttle back to Manhattan.  As luck would have it the bus driver got lost.  It was approximately 4:30 in the morning when we finally were able to lie down and get some much needed sleep.  It was a long day and night but it was worth it.

Me the next day after only 3 hours of sleep
Much to my surprise my team mates want to do it again next year!  Are they just a glutton for punishment?  They've even started planning next years bras.  Any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment