Yes, you heard me right, and I will say it again, it is time to get off the scale. I have to admit I am guilty of that too. I have been obsessed with the scale too. During some of my more obsessive days, I would weight myself a couple of times a day. And the worst part it would affect the way I felt about myself. If I was up a pound I would be depressed, to the point that I felt like a failure. It was sad that this inanimate object had such a strong influence over me.
I want to talk today about this obsession we have with the scale? As I just mention for some people, the scale can be an adversary or an ally, depending on the day. We often hate what it says, but we still feel the desire to use it. It actually has a proper use and can be a very useful tool for weight management. But for many (me included), the scale does more than measure our total weight. It somehow defines who you are as a person. And sadly, it can determine your own self-worth.
Here are some signs that you need to get off the scale:
1. You constantly worry about weighing in.
When you're trying to lose weight, it's normal to experience some hesitation when you step on the scale. After all, you want some validation that you that all of your hard work has paid off. It's discouraging when you have done everything right and things still don’t pan out. However, if you find yourself preoccupied with worrisome thoughts of what the scale is going to say tomorrow or the next day, then you might be a little too obsessed with the scale.
2. You weigh in more than once per day.
Most weight loss programs recommend weighing in once a week (or even less). Ever wonder why it's not a good idea to do it more often? Your body weight can and will fluctuate from day to day, and change throughout a single day, too. So stop putting yourself on that roller coaster of emotions. If you feel like you can't control yourself or stop yourself from weighing in each day, you may need an intervention.
3. The scale determines how you feel about yourself for the day.
When that number is down, you feel invincible, and there is nothing you can not do. You have more self confidence and you stand a little taller. When the number goes up, you feel like a failure and feel that you are not worthy. To me, this is the saddest situation of all—to let the scale dictate your self-worth.
If one (or all) of these situations sound familiar to you, it's time to step away from the scale. Go cold turkey. Or at the very least, weigh in less often. But what's a "compulsive weigher" to do? I mean there are no 12 step programs for this addiction, no support groups to help you out.
Don't let the scale alone determine whether you're a success or failure, use more reliable measures to determine your progress. My philosophy is that weight loss is not a goal but a journey and there will always be some bumps in the road. So instead subscribe to a life of healthier habits such as a better diet and regular exercise. When you do step on the scale and don't see the numbers you had hoped for, keep the following questions in mind; Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing? Am I making healthy food choices most of the time? Am I exercising consistently? If you are, then you can reassure yourself that you are making positive changes, and the results will come in due time. If you are not, then resolve to be consistent in healthy behaviors to see the results you want.
Here are some signs that you need to get off the scale:
1. You constantly worry about weighing in.
When you're trying to lose weight, it's normal to experience some hesitation when you step on the scale. After all, you want some validation that you that all of your hard work has paid off. It's discouraging when you have done everything right and things still don’t pan out. However, if you find yourself preoccupied with worrisome thoughts of what the scale is going to say tomorrow or the next day, then you might be a little too obsessed with the scale.
2. You weigh in more than once per day.
Most weight loss programs recommend weighing in once a week (or even less). Ever wonder why it's not a good idea to do it more often? Your body weight can and will fluctuate from day to day, and change throughout a single day, too. So stop putting yourself on that roller coaster of emotions. If you feel like you can't control yourself or stop yourself from weighing in each day, you may need an intervention.
3. The scale determines how you feel about yourself for the day.
When that number is down, you feel invincible, and there is nothing you can not do. You have more self confidence and you stand a little taller. When the number goes up, you feel like a failure and feel that you are not worthy. To me, this is the saddest situation of all—to let the scale dictate your self-worth.
If one (or all) of these situations sound familiar to you, it's time to step away from the scale. Go cold turkey. Or at the very least, weigh in less often. But what's a "compulsive weigher" to do? I mean there are no 12 step programs for this addiction, no support groups to help you out.
Don't let the scale alone determine whether you're a success or failure, use more reliable measures to determine your progress. My philosophy is that weight loss is not a goal but a journey and there will always be some bumps in the road. So instead subscribe to a life of healthier habits such as a better diet and regular exercise. When you do step on the scale and don't see the numbers you had hoped for, keep the following questions in mind; Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing? Am I making healthy food choices most of the time? Am I exercising consistently? If you are, then you can reassure yourself that you are making positive changes, and the results will come in due time. If you are not, then resolve to be consistent in healthy behaviors to see the results you want.
Any number should not define you (weight, age, salary) you are more than just a number. Remember there are other measurements (like how much energy you have, how much easier it is to climb a flight of stairs, or how well your clothes fit) that you can use to help you determine if you are on the right path to weight lose. They may not be as precise or scientific, but they're sure to make you feel happier and more successful than a scale ever can.

No comments:
Post a Comment