Thursday, June 12, 2014

Strength Training- The Truth You Need to Hear



It's a Non-negotiable facet, women over 40 must do strength training.  I know if  you are anything like me, that is the last thing you want to hear.

I was a typical  40+ woman, I used to do 4-5 weekly cardio workouts, and I thought I had it all figured out.  I thought if I just decrease my daily caloric intake I would lose weight in a snap, but the truth was the pounds weren't coming off (actually the numbers were creeping up [gasp]) Yup I had realized it was fallacy.  I realize is that I needed to incorporate strength training

So why does strength training help you to lose weight.

The simple reason is that by adding some strength training to your exercise regime, you will increase your lean muscle mass.   And as we all know lean muscle burns more calories than fat.  So the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn day in-day out.

According to one study, women who don’t strength train lose 7 pounds of their muscle mass every ten years. That is a scary notion.  It also means, that your daily caloric expenditure decreases by approximately 350 calories every ten years. If you’re forty now and can maintain a steady weight by eating 2000 calories per day, at age 50 you can only eat 1650 calories/day to maintain your current weight.

Sounds depressing?

So do you strength training.


P.S. And it’s muscle mass that gives you that toned and curvy body, not cardio.


The good news about strength training is that you won’t need to go to the gym and lift heavy weights.  All you really need is two sessions of resistance training per week, and you do not need weights to do resistance training, you can use your own body weight.  There is another bonus you can do them anywhere, even at home.  Wow that doesn't sound that bad now.

So to help you start on your quest for stronger leaner muscles,   I have attached some simple exercises for the legs you can do anywhere.  So go ahead and try them






No comments:

Post a Comment