Thursday, August 29, 2013
Life is More than Just A Number
It's Bloglovin', Blog Hop, Thursday hosted by Meg from Happy KIds Inc Blog. Today I am actually giving away a $10 gitf card to Target to go along with the back to school theme. Target is a great place for getting back to school supplies.
During my recently blog hoping adventures I came across this quote from Paula Rollo, she the owner of the Beauty Through Imperfection Blog
When I saw this saying, it just stroke a cord in me, maybe because for as long as I can remember I have struggled with my weight. I can remember shopping for a dress for my Bat Mitzvah dress, I was over weight at the time, and the sales woman saying to me "it such a shame, she has such a pretty face". The ironic part is that, my parents actually agreed with her.
I was so impressionable at this point, and it made me feel that I was some how imperfect or inferior because I was over weight. There have been other countless incidents during my childhood that made it all to clear to me how much society values ones weight. When all it is just numbers. Should these numbers control our lives? Should we feel better if the numbers are low? Should we feel more desirable or important? For the longest time I started to chase these numbers, every morning I would get on the scale and my day would depend on the numbers. If I lost a pound or two it was a good day, if I gain a pound or two I would beat myself up. It was a slippery slope. I was never diagnosed with a eating disorder parse but I probably had one. Part of this dark time, I was in podiatry school and I knew the deleterious effects I was causing my body, but I did not care. I wanted to be thin enough. I would exercise excessively and I would eat a very low calorie diet. It was all for trying to achieve this unattainable goal of being thin enough.
What I realize now is that there is no perfect number. That beauty is more than just numbers. That we should pride ourselves not on what our number are but how we much we contribute to society. How much of a positive effect we have on other peoples lives.
We are all more than just numbers.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment