Tuesday, September 24, 2013
The Runner's Form
In recent months I have been plagued by numerous injuries from hamstring pull to Achilles tendonitis. After my last injury a IT band issue, I had an "an ha" moment, maybe it's my technique. Since than I’ve been intrigued by the idea of proper running . It seems like in every other sport they teach you the “right way” to do it so that you can maximize your body’s performance. Yet with running it should be innate, something that should come natural. Some people even believe that “everyone has their own style.” What?? Surely there has to be a better way to run than just going out there, flailing around, and hoping for the best.
Christopher McDougall’s book Born to Run challenged the tenets I had learned in podiatry school, that the human foot may need some accommodating device for optimal performance when walking or running . It was blasphemy to think that the man might actually be preform better when running in its most primal way: barefoot. It was also intriguing to think about how shoe companies may be designing products that actually weaken the foot rather than strengthen it. I started to think about biomechanics from podiatry school and the hole gait cycle, from heel strike to toe off.
I recently found an issue in Runner’s World where they illustrate proper running form. They did a really great job of providing an overview of the topic, along with some practical pointers. You can read the whole article here if you’d like.
I have not started to run again but when I do I will start to practice these elements. I am hoping they will help me run father, prevent injury and conserve energy. I think now I will concentrate on form rather than speed. What will you take away from this article?
Link Ups
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment