Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Transitioning From Summer Into Fall Foot Wear
As a podiatrist most of my patients in my practice, prefer to wear sandals in the summer and when the weather starts to plummet they go directly into boots. They tend to op out of the “transitional shoe”. And by transitional shoe, I mean footwear that has more coverage than a sandal but less coverage than a boot. I am mostly talking about loafers, sassy sneakers, flat oxfords, peep-toe booties, slipper flats, ballet flats, and any style of pump or wedged pump with a closed toe.
Even though I mention ballet flats I would rather my patients stay away from the ballet flats.
I tell my patients ballet flats are like "walking on cardboard". They have little support and can cause your feet to ache and even lead to painful foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, and neuromas to name a few . Some advice I often give my patients, is if they love the look of ballet flats (and believe it or not I like the look too), they should either invest in either over-the-counter inserts. The inserts help prevent mild foot pain. Heel pads can provide extra cushioning for achy heels. I also mention custom orthotics, which can ease a whole range of foot pains and problems. These inserts will provide arch support and reduce pressure on sensitive areas. Prescription orthotics can be pricey, but are sometimes covered by insurance.
So now I hope you think twice before wearing those ballet flats, with no arch support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment